Thinking of retiring? or not?
Here are 5 good reasons to keep working:
1) You are going to live longer and will need the money – so keep working now and keep saving. Put some money into your 401K, IRA, etc. Keep some cash in a savings account for easy access in case of an emergency.
2) Intellectual stimulation – Reading the newspaper and talking to friends is great, but nothing takes the place of work that requires intense concentration, analysis, thinking, and writing.
3) Social interaction – Going to class is fun and so are sports, and you also need to interact with people every day. Doing your own thing every day sounds like fun, but it can be very isolating.
4) Feeling productive – Nothing is worse than waking up in the morning feeling like there is nothing to live for. Why are you here? What are you doing? Work gives you a purpose, whether you are getting paid, or doing pro bono or volunteering, nothing takes the place of being productive and serving a purpose beyond your own needs.
5) You have not yet figured out what you will do all day long – Some of us have hobbies, past times, belong to sports teams, book clubs, knitting circles, etc. But they don’t take 8 hours a day, every day, 7 days a week. Unless and until you have figured out what you are going to do, keep working.