The role of Chief Editor, Medicine, provides a wonderful opportunity to take this flagship title on to the next level, with an aim to be a leading high-impact, open access home for research in general medicine. The journal publishes high quality original research describing important translational, clinical and policy-related advances. The journal also publishes debates and opinion pieces to challenge current thinking in clinical knowledge and practice.
As Chief Editor, you will be the ambassador for the journal through your active engagement with the community globally. You will be responsible for peer review and selection of content for publication, for steering the journal’s strategy, and for leadership of the in-house editorial team and external editorial board.
• Proactively engage with the scientific community as an ambassador for the journal and the company, advocating for the journal and company at academic institutions and conferences, and through social media and other communication channels
• Lead the in-house team of manuscript handling editors, ensuring that they achieve the right balance of time between efficient service to authors and outreach in the community, including lab visits and conference attendance, to attract the best authors and high-quality content
• Have overall responsibility for all aspects of manuscript selection, including peer review, commissioning, and creating editorial material, with final say on decisions to accept or reject material and accountability for published content
• Foster excellent service to authors, including courteous, constructive decisions and an efficient peer review process
• Implement policies that assure the integrity of the scientific record
• Use your knowledge of the subject and your personal network to understand developments in genome medicine in order to identify editorial opportunities and inform journal strategy
• Work with the Publisher to drive the strategy for evolving research and publishing landscape, to attract top-quality authors and content, and to develop the journal’s reputation as an outstanding forum in the field
• Work with other departments and in-house systems and processes to ensure that the journal is published and promoted efficiently and effectively
• Agree with the Publisher editorial targets, team cost budgets, and other KPIs, and ensure that they are met or improved on
• Other duties as required
• PhD, MD or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline
• Broad scientific interests and knowledge
• Extensive experience in peer review and decision-making
• Extensive experience in journal development within academic and scholarly publishing
• Experience in line management and training of editors
• Excellent level of knowledge of current challenges and opportunities in scientific publishing
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational and time-management skills
• Willing to travel internationally
This company is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.They are the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research.