So you interviewed for a job and you thought you aced it. But you didn’t. You are feeling rejected, depressed, and at loose ends. So what do you do now?
1. It’s not you. It’s them. If they don’t want you you are better off not working for them. Maybe they had a particular person in mind from the get go. Maybe your potential boss feels threatened by you. Don’t blame yourself.
2. Get feedback. Ask the interviewer how did you compare to the other candidates. What was missing from your background that made them choose someone else.There are other jobs out there that will be a better fit for your skills, interests and personality.
3. Mourn the loss. It’s okay to feel sorry for yourself, for a few days. Console yourself with a meal, with a friend’s shoulder to cry on, go to a movie. But then, you have to move on.
4. Take a deep breath and get moving with your job search. Keep writing for informational meetings, keep calling to get those meetings, keep meeting with people and expanding your network. You need to have six to ten things in the works at different stages, emails, letters, phone calls, interviews, second interviews.
5. The job search is a numbers game. Remember, you have to get 99 “nos” before you get to “yes”. The more time you spend on your job search, the sooner you will get to “yes”.
-(c) Copyright 2017 Amy Geffen All rights Reserved-